Canton of Saint-Aignan-sur-Roë
District of Château-Gontier
Surface area: 1 900 ha
River: the Cheran
Former Names of the Rouaudière :
- Ecclesia que Roalderia dicitur, 1136 (Cart. de la Roë, f. 23).
- Sancta Maria de Roalderia, 1136 (Ibid., f. 6).
- Prior de la Renaudière, 1398 (Nat. Arch., X/1a. 45, f. 168).
- Prieuré de la Rouaudière, 1414 (Ibid., P. 338).
- The village of La Rouaudière, 1450 (Arch. de M.-et-L., Pouancé).
- La Rouauldière, 1480 (Dict. topog.).
- La Rovaudière (Jaillot).
- Les Trois-Maries de la Rouaudière, 1758.
Two large families are represented at La Rouaudière.
The Lords of Jaille
Lord of the Rouaudière and Huberdière at the beginning of the 13th century.
The Lords Jacquelot
Lord of Rouaudière and Saultray, end of the 15th century.
It was necessary to choose which of these two families would represent La Rouaudière.
After researching the Archives of the Mayenne, they told us that only the arms of an extinct family can be collected by a commune. It is in fact forbidden to usurp existing weapons and, if the family is still represented, any re-use of its weapons would be assimilated to usurpation.
Finally, and most importantly, we can only give the municipality a new coat of arms if it does not already have one.
After checking in Abbot Angot's Armorial monumental de la Mayenne, there is only one reference for La Rouaudière (p. 363), and it is not relevant. On the other hand, the tourist information office of the canton of Saint-Aignan-sur-Roë published a booklet entitled Nos blasons et leur histoire (Our coats of arms and their history), compiled by Antoinette Homps, in 1989, published by Raynard. On p. 12 you will find the coat of arms of La Rouaudière, derived from that of the La Jaille family. It is Or, with a tapered band Gules, i.e. with a golden background surmounted by an oblique band of red rhombuses.
It is therefore the coat of arms of the de la Jaille family that today represents the Rouaudière.
Occupation is attested to as early as the Neolithic period thanks to a set of furniture (axe, hammer axe) found on its territory. The village is situated in the Chéran valley which has its source in the Andigné woods. The cartography of the megaliths and the toponymy make it possible to determine a protohistoric axis.
This heart-shaped hammer axe was discovered in 1976 at the Beauvais farm. The function of these objects is still undetermined today. They are generally heart-shaped with a heel and a cutting edge on either side of the handle. Dating has not been established, but it would seem that these axes were used at the end of the Neolithic period. The greatest density of these tools is found in Upper Brittany. However, a significant concentration is found in the south-western part of Mayenne, on the border between Anjou and Brittany.
120 B.C. -50 BC
Granite (d: 35 cm)
The rotating grinding wheel appeared at La Tène finale.
It is made up of two elements, the upper part of which, the catilus, can be rotated by means of a wooden handle fitted on the side. This fragment of the dormant part, known as the meta, 35 centimetres in diameter, was unearthed in 1988 in a ditch bordering a field in the vicinity of the Blanchardières farm. This is the second discovery in the canton. The existence of this tool attests that protohistoric farmers produced cereals.
This sundial dated 1637....
In 1136, La Rouaudière (Roalderia) was a priory-curate dependent on the abbey of La Roë and mentioned in act 45 of the cartulary of Notre-Dame-de-La-Roë Abbey on which is mentioned the donation by Griferius de Congreio (Congrier) of the church to Robert de Monte-nazé, abbot of La Roé.
La Rouaudière depends on the Barony of Pouancé.
In feudal times, a fortified castle existed where the village of La Rouaudière is now located. This old castle was the nucleus around which the parish was formed. Its existence is not in doubt; the remains of the old feudal chapel, destroyed only in 1842, are proof of this. The courtyard farmhouse, built so close to the church, bears witness by its name that it was the farmhouse of the castle courtyard.
The old castle was defended by a large moat which forbade its entry. These moats have been filled in. There were also underground passages, the last of which was filled in around 1880. Mr Cholet, the parish priest of La Rouaudière from 1857 to 1895, wrote in his memoirs: "the last underground was destroyed, filled in and plugged up before my very eyes. »
In the 17th century, after the destruction of their castle - of which the remains were still visible in 1850 - located near the church, the lords established their headquarters at La Huberderie.
The second seigniorial house is Le Tais, whose owners go back to the 20th century. In 1843, the fiefdom of Vildé was returned to La Rouaudière, which abandoned La Chevronnais, Les Renardières and the mill to the commune of Congrier and to Saint-Aignan-sur-Roé, all the land from the bridge over the Etang de la Chevronnais pond to the mills of Les Fossettes and the village of La Primais.
Until the end of the 19th century, bricks were manufactured at the place known as the Four-à-Carreaux.
- Lisois de la Rouaudière, lord lord suzerain of Griferius de Congrier, who gave his share of
the church at la Roë, from 1128 to 1136.
- Gestin de la Jaille, Seigneur de la Rouaudiere et de la Huberdière, 1208
- Raoul de la Jaille, 1232
- Briand de la Jaille, 1353
- Estor de la Jaille, 1453.
- Louis de la Jaille, 1494.
- Philippe Jacquelot, Lord of Saultray
- Louis Jacquelot , 1621
- Philippe Jacquelot bought the seigneury of La Rouaudière in 1631.
- Louis de la Jaille, 1594
- Bertrand Beu,
- Jacquelot de la Huberderie, 1627
- Jacques Pantin ( married to Louise Jacquelot )
- Jean Pantin, Lord of the Rouaudière, 1713
- M. de Saint-Moran, 1766.
- M. de la Chevière,
M. Jean JULIOT, 1791
M. Mathurin PIPARD, January 1793.
The municipality is disorganised, year IV.
M. Jacques DOUDET, 1798.
M. JULIOT fils, June 1799.
Mr. Paul PAILLARD (resigns), 1800.
Mr Jean-Joseph BOUCHER, 1800, 1813.
M. Louis LETORT de la Chevrolais, 1813, 1815.
M. Paul PAILLARD, 1815, 1827.
M. Jean PECOT, 1829, 1836.
M. Pierre BLANCHARD, 1837.
M. Jean VIVIEN, 1840, 1843.
M. Jacques LORIER, 1850, 1852.
M. Jean DOINEAU, 1855, 1892.
M. Louis SALLIOT, 1892
Mr Paul VIVIEN, 1945 to 1995
Mrs Elisabeth DOINEAU, 1995 to 2008
Mr. Patrice BOISSEAU, 2008 to March 2014
Mr Philippe HEUZE, 2014 to 18 May 2020
Mr Thierry JULIOT, Since 18 May 2020
15th and 17th centuries
The congregation of the Genovefains of La Roë, founded priories in certain towns around the abbey. In 1135, Pope Innocent II confirmed the donation of the priory parish priest of La Rouaudière to the canons of La Roë. In 1450, Prior Jacques Cheminard agreed with the prior of La Madeleine-de-Pouancéthat he would have the presentation while the latter would have the school "maistrerie" snack. March 27th
1783, Abbot Girardot (executed during the Revolution) took possession of the premises, in front of Me Cheneau, royal apostolic notary of the city of Angers: he was the last prior-curate.
The priory, sold during the Revolution, was bought by M. Gautier, the parish priest, and then sold to M. Vivien.
At the end of the 19th century, an adjoining building was constructed according to the plans of M. Foubert, an architect from Sillé-le-Guillaume. The new presbytery was completed and delivered to the clergy on 1 October 1897. Nowadays, transformed into a gite d'étape, and known as a manor house, it can accommodate up to 19 people.
The Huberderie was founded by the parish priest Jacquelot on 27th November 1623.
After the destruction of their castle in the 17th century, the lords of La Rouaudière established the seat of their lordship at La Huberderie.
The Lords of Huberderie also owned the fiefdom of Vildé. The latter was then an enclave dependent on the commune of Congrier. Monsieur Letort, a former senior employee of the King's farms in the Barony of Pouancé, acquired the fiefdom of Vildé in the 17th century. The Saint Louis Chapel was founded by the parish priest Louis Houillot in 1627. The dwelling has a tower, still at an angle, which apparently served as a small dovecote.
This manor has kept its original turret. At the beginning of the 19th century, it was the property of the de La Blotais family from Maine et Loire. Armand de La Blotais was mayor of Gesté in the canton of Beaupreau from 2 August 1816 until 1830. Fortuné de La Blotais was mayor of the same commune from 1870 to 1908. Today, the manor house is the main residence of farmers.
This chapel is situated in a field near the farmhouse of La Grossière. It is also known as Notre Damede-Bon Secours. It owes its construction to the parish church. Indeed, the latter was originally consecrated to the Virgin Mary, then in 1606, it came under the patronage of the Trois-Marie family. Some parishioners protested and decided to build, at their own expense, this chapel dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, on a plot of land donated by the lord of La Huberderie. On 18th June 1730, two thousand people attended the blessing of the building and the statue of Our Lady of All Helpers.
The annual festival is fixed on the day of the Visitation. It is well attended due to the infinite number of healings and consolations attributed to his intercession. At the end of the 19th century, work was undertaken: the chapel was extended and a bell was added. The bell of the presbytery was installed there, on a temporary basis, to allow the services to be rang.
The altar dates from June 1897. On 15 August of the same year, the old procession is re-established, and brings together more than five hundred people.
The origin of the veneration of the oak of Notre Dame de La Chauvière has not reached us. It is sometimes referred to as the place where an unsermented priest would have celebrated the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass during the Revolution. In the 19th century, a wooden box containing a statue of the Virgin Mary was hung on the trunk. In 1897, with the oak tree on common land, the parish priest asked the mayor, M. Saillot, for permission to undertake work due to the poor condition of the box used as a chapel.
The priest then decided to begin digging the trunk in order to establish an inner chapel. This task was carried out in a fortnight by the wheelwright and blacksmith, a week before the Assumption. Exvotos were hung on the trunk in thanksgiving for the graces granted by Our Lady.
The church of La Rouaudière, a heritage to be rediscovered.
The church was ransacked during the Revolution.
A new church in ogival style was built on the square in 1842.
Like many country churches, the church at La Rouaudière is only open for certain ceremonies. It has also suffered the ravages of time.
However, it deserves some attention. Rebuilt between 14 April 1842 and 8 September 1843 on the site of the former church dedicated to the Three Marys in 1606, according to the plans of Maximilien Godefroy, an architect who spent some time in the United States, it is one of the first examples in Mayenne of the rediscovery of the Gothic style. Modern at the time in its architecture, it remains traditional in its furnishings: its choir, decorated with a very large altarpiece, is inspired by 17th century Laval models.
It preserves an interesting set of mid-19th century statutes by the sculptors Barême and Barré (from Angevin and Rennes), and paintings from the 17th and 19th centuries.
The high altar is the work of Monsieur Baudier d'Evron.
Church of the Three Marys
This plaque recalls the memory of Father Alexandre Denis Girardot, former parish priest of La Rouaudière, a martyr priest, shot in Craon on 17 March 1796.
Alexandre Denis Girardot was born in Cumières, diocese of Reims on April 17, 1740.
The young man felt called to monastic life at a very early age and entered the order of Canons Regular of the Congregation of France.
The monks of this order then directed the major seminary of Reims.
On 27th March 1783, he took possession of the priory parish priest of La Rouaudière where his superiors had sent him.
Soon the revolutionary storm broke out, Mgr Girardot, on his refusal to take an oath to the constitution, was interned in the Cordeliers' prison in Laval on 20 June 1792.
He was then deported to England and returned to La Rouaudière in March 1795.
From that date on he has carried out his ministry with heroic dedication, risking his life at every moment. Several Christian families in La Rouaudière secretly gave him refuge. We mention in particular the Delanoé ladies.
Mgr Girardot also knew the hiding places of the Huberderie, which often served as a refuge for him.
At the end of 1795, after a brief lull, the massacres began again. The struggle was fierce in our regions where royalists and blues tore each other apart. Bishop Girardot went into hiding again and did not want to abandon his flock. His presence was kept secret. On March 16, 1796, Mgr Girardot was busy hearing confessions when suddenly, he was warned that the Craon guard was coming to La Rouaudière and he was urged to leave. Betrayed by a royalist in whom he had full confidence, Mgr Girardot was arrested when he had taken refuge with the Delanoé ladies. He was taken, under good escort, to Craon where he was thrown into prison. The death sentence was not long in coming. The day after his arrest, 17 March 1796, Bishop Girardot was taken outside the town to be shot. His body was buried in the place where he had been shot and remained there until 1822.
This year, a mission was preached at Craon by the Jesuits of Laval. Having learned the details of Bishop Girardot's death, they had his remains searched for and locked them in a wooden crate. The inhabitants of La Rouaudière received with joy the bones from the arm of the holy priest.
Accompanied by a missionary, they took the precious relic and placed it in the sanctuary of their church, enclosed in the wall not far from the high altar where a commemorative plaque was affixed.